Sunday, June 04, 2006

Fun weekend

This weekend was exactly what I needed after feeling quite tense and stressed, and overall kinda icky this past week.

Friday was the big event: the blog party. And what a fun party it was! It was so cool finally putting all of these names and lives I read all the time with faces. And there were quite a few there whom I hadn't "ventured" much into their blogs yet. Let's just say that has changed. ;) It was such a fun group, and I was surprised at how comfortable I felt around everyone. It usually takes me a little while, especially in a group that size, to ease up. But it just felt like everyone there clicked. I was glad that I stayed longer than I had originally intented to for sure, and next time, I am staying for the whole thing! I just wish I had remembered my camera. Dang it.

I pretty much missed out on our D&D game, as they were wrapping things up by the time I got back. We ended up having this 2 hour discussion afterwards though, that was quite interesting. It was predominantly on politics, which really isn't my thing. But it's always interesting to hear other's views, and it was honestly a refreshing conversation.

I was able to sleep in on Saturday, which was WONDERFUL. I needed it. Mark got his hair cut short (it was definitely time, he was getting pretty shaggy). That afternoon, we ran some errands and relaxed some, then went over for game night at Jessie and Timm's. Game night is so awesome - I love having the chance once a week to get together with good friends, and just kick back and chat/play games. We played Trivial Pursuit, which was killer. We didn't even finish it. Then, Pictionary. I hadn't played Pictionary in YEARS. And that game makes me tense, holy crap. I didn't think Pictionary could create such anxiety within a person, but it is definitely possible.

Today, we went to church, and I taught my first lesson as the "official" CTR 6 teacher. It will be fun to do, and the kids I teach are all really cute. The attention span of 5 year olds is astounding....ly absent. But, at the same time, they make some really insightful comments, and are overall great kids. The only boy, Alex, had a tic tac container partially filled with water, and he was pretending it had fish. Ah, kids. (:

I was really grateful for friends this weekend. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in myself, I forget what wonderful people I have around me.



On that note, I leave you with a random flower picture. I've got nothing.

3 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, Blogger Jill said...

I enjoy random flower pictures, how lovely.

I'm glad you came to the party and stayed much longer than you planned. I totally agree with you that we all just clicked. I get nervous too sometimes with meeting new people or feeling insecure about myself, but I didn't feel any of that that night. It was all good to me.

Good luck with the new primary class. Another suggestion for you would be to make little games for them using the material from the lesson. You can find lots of clipart and ideas online by searching on Google. This is site I've found helpful http://www.jennysmith.net/primary/
(I can't remember if I already gave you that link or not.)

Little games like Memory, or using lots of pictures, having them do a puppet show-type thing about what they learned, anything that seems kind of fun will help them remember what you're teaching them and also will hold their attention better.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger jt said...

I'm so glad you stayed longer than you planned, and that you came over on Saturday night. Pictionary made me tense too- you may have noticed. I was not in good form that night, and I apologize. I'm still glad you came over. :)

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger michelle said...

I don't normally do well with large groups, as I tend to be shy until I get to know people. But I had no problem with the group at the blog party! (granted, I already knew a lot of them) I was impressed with how we all seemed to feel comfortable with each other. I wish you could have stayed the whole time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home