Sunday, May 07, 2006

Reaching Out

So today I took a small step towards becoming a more giving, kind person...though not in a tangible way today. But I still feel good about it. Not in the conceited, "look at me go" kind of way, but in the way that I feel like I stepped out of my comfort zone to be there for someone...if that makes sense. Just, the feel good of doing good.

I was assigned to visit teach a woman and her daughter in March, and they live just a just a few yards down the street. The daughter sadly suffers from various physical and mental difficulties, such as anxiety. They are both really kind, and I am really looking forward to visiting with them. Well tonight, I saw the ambulance and fire truck pull up in front of their place. Occassionally they will have to call them to come get the daughter when something is going wrong. I was really concerned for them as I watched from my door, hoping that everything was alright and they wouldn't need to take her to the hospital. Thankfully she didn't leave with the ambulance.

Ordinarily in this sort of situation, I would have only prayed for her, and debated whether I should go down and check in on them, ultimately deciding not to as to not "bother" them.However, tonight I really felt strongly that I should just run down there and see how they were doing, and ask if there was anything I could do to help. So I did. And I'm really glad that I did - her mother seemed to really appreciate it, and I know that the daughter did too. She had had an allergic reaction to one of her medications, and seemed to be a bit out of it. But I heard her say 'thank you,' and that meant so much to me.

This probably doesn't sound like an extraordinary experience, but it made me feel so good to go out of my way to let them know I am thinking of them, and that I care for their well being. I hope that I can be not only a good visiting teacher to them, but a good friend as well. The daughter is about my age, and I can't imagine how difficult it would be dealing with so many hard things. It definitely puts life into perspective for me, and helps me be more grateful for my health.  Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fabulous! I love that you listened to your heart and went for it. I feel this way all the time about various things and just let it go as you have, telling myself I didn't want to be a bother.

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Jill said...

I think it IS a big deal that you followed The Spirit and pushed past your comfort zone and went to check on those ladies. It's an amazing thing to know that someone cares about you, even if they can't do anything to help--you conveyed that by going to visit them. That's awesome.

 
At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home