Friday, December 01, 2006

Update on my mom

So....unfortunately it isn't good news.

She has cancer again. We all just can't believe it. She will go in for a PET scan, *hopefully* before they come over for my cousin's wedding this upcoming Wednesday. That would be ideal - but if not, as soon as possible. They just need to see if it has spread anywhere else - which we all pray it hasn't. That's the next big thing that we are all hoping for. Her other next step will be getting what's called a port surgically put in. Basically, it's this little device that goes in on her chest to make drawing blood and administering intraveinous chemotherapy easier for her and her doctors. She had one the first time she had cancer, and it will be especially needed now. Since she had lymph nodes removed when she had surgery in 2004, which has caused a condition for her called lymphadema(?). She can't have any blood drawn from that side of her body, and her arm has swelled up quite a bit. They think it may be affecting the other side too, so they don't want to take any chances. Plus, my mom has seriously small veins - she's always had problems with needles. I fear I have the same veins >_<

I've just been really depressed about this whole thing. It just doesn't seem fair. But, I know we all have our trials, and if anyone has the guts to take this on again, my mom does. I just really hope it all goes ok for her. And I want to try really hard to give her all the support that I can, even though I live far away. That's one of the hardest things for me - knowing that I can't be there helping her through this. But I am all the more grateful now that Mark and I will be able to take a little more time at Christmas to be there.

I've just gotta do my best to stay positive, and hope that things will turn out ok. I really appreciate all of your comments - I apologize for not having responded individually. (:

5 Comments:

At 11:19 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Oh Robin, I'm so sorry. I've been praying for your mom and your family every night since reading about this possibility and it hurts my heart to think of you struggling with this.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Diana said...

Robin, I feel so bad for you and your family. I wish I could do something. I will continue praying for her.

 
At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Robin--you and your family are in my prayers :)

 
At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about you a ton lately and really feel for your whole family. Please let us know if you need anything at all. I am so sorry you have to go through this again my friend. Stay strong.

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger michelle said...

Oh gosh, Robin, I only just got this news. What a terrible blow for your family. I can't believe your mom has to go through this again. You're right, it just doesn't seem fair.

I'm so glad you get to go there for Christmas, though. It must be awfully hard to be far from her with all this going on.

Please keep us posted and use us as a way to get your difficult feelings out. I will keep you all in my prayers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home