Monday, April 03, 2006

Back in business

I have returned to more consistent blogging...I hope. This month is a crazy one for sure, so I will definitely be doing my best.

My family left town this morning - it's always sad to see them go. However, they will be back out here around the 23rd, so I will be seeing them again soon. Yay! They stayed a couple of days longer than planned, which worked out well since I was generally working or at school a lot of the time.

As I mentioned in my last post, my mom celebrated her birthday this last Tuesday. Each time I see her, I am still amazed at how strong of a woman she is. For those of you who don't know, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in January 2004. It was quite advanced - a Stage 3B out of a possible 4 stages in terms of intensity. Needless to say, our family was thrown for a loop. I can distinctly remember while I was home for Christmas Break before then, she was a bit nervous about what felt like a cyst in her breast. For some reason at that time, I remember being more concerned for her than usual (she has had them in the past), and on several occasions told her I thought she ought to get it checked out. Others in the family felt the same way. The tumor found was rather unusual - rather than being a solid mass, it was more like lots of clusters in the same area. She underwent a full masectomy early in February, and went through intense chemotherapy treatments, followed by radiation.

It was during this time that Mark and I were engaged, and our wedding happened to fall during the "break" from finishing chemotherapy, before beginning radiation. Despite what she was going through, she was still a tremendous help to me, and was able to attend all of the wedding, ring ceremony, and reception.

I had the opportunity to go with her to a few of her chemo treatments after I got home from school. I would go sit with her, and we would talk, or read books/magazines. She always had such a great attitude, and formed good relationships with her doctor/nurses, and other patients. Mark and I were both able to be there with her when she graduated from her treatments - it was such a happy day.

She has since battled cancer again - this past summer - and underwent radiation treatments and chemotherapy (this time in pill form) again. The doctors have kept her on the pills, to hopefully help prevent it from coming back a third time.

Throughout all of this, my mom has always been a shining example of a faithful, optimistic, charitable woman. Truly, her attitude and take on the situation has been remarkable. I know at times it has been extremely painful and scary for her, for all of us - but seldomly would she ever complain. She would always say "I'm going to lick this thing!," and was a tremendous support to others suffering. She was always faithful in her calling at church, and would always attend when she was physically able to. Her testimony of Christ, her faith, her dedication has always been so consistent and strong.

I am so thankful for my mom. Sometimes I wish I better showed, and expressed to her just how much she means to me. But I don't even know if that is possible. I can only hope that as I continue to grow, that I develop these wonderful attributes of hers.

Even though it's nearly a week past, Happy Birthday to my Mom. (: Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for your mom! I have tears in my eyes. What an inspiring woman. I hope I get to meet her someday; maybe at your graduation?

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger jt said...

I love your mom, but I've only met her in passing. I remember Mike, as well as Denise and my grandma Charlotte telling me with what strength your mom met her battle. Congrats on a healthy outlook!

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Thank you both so much. My parents will be back out here for my graduation - they'll be here for more than a week, so hopefully you guys will have a chance to meet her (:

And I am sad to say, I don't know if book club is going to work out for me this month (BUMMER!!) Unless we were to hold it like, the last week after I finish at Meier and Frank ;) But! In a few short weeks, I should be allll sorts of available in the evenings!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home